MTS operations suspended in Turkmenistan
Earlier this month, neweurasia reported about the problems of MTS users in Turkmenistan. Less than a month into the disruptions of MTS mobile service operations, there is now more clarity to the picture.
An announcement on the MTS website says the company was told by the Ministry of Communications that a decision had been taken to suspend the its license starting December 21, 2010 without any stated explanation.
http://www.mts.tm/tm/news/2010-12-20-992318/ Turkmen version
http://www.mts.tm/news/2010-12-20-992318/ Russian version
The suspension appears to be the result of an unresolved dispute between Turkmen authorities and MTS. According to unconfirmed press reports, Ashgabat wants to have a 51 percent stake in MTS, and increase their share of the profits. In case of noncompliance, they have threatened to completely nationalize the company.